Friday, November 14, 2008

Poem after a thunderstorm in San Gimigiano


One rainy night in Milan after some terrific Chinese food (T. lost to me playing Pass the Pigs--thanks Anita & George--so he treated me to steamed veggie dumplings and I added lemon shrimp skewers) we tried our hands at writing poetry based upon memorable experiences here in Italy........


Here's mine:


Setting sun breaks
along a storm cloud-studded horizon
where
dignified sentinels of a glorious past
stand black and grey against madonna blue.


One by one, the lights come on
spilling a golden welcome
out
of ancient doors and windows,
drawing shivering, rain-soaked pilgrims
into
a sanctuary of warmth and peace.


Our trip has been very rainy....and when we arrived in Siena late in the day due to missing our train (it arrived too late) and taking a bus there....we then bussed over to San Gimigiano, the hill town of many towers! We arrived just before dusk, got caught in a torrential downpour and then were able to walk around after getting warmed up at a cafe.....it was beautiful and unforgettable and I'll post a photo or two when I can as this is someone else's so you can get an idea!!


This trip has been one of the most memorable experiences of my life, due in no small part to my son and the wonderful traveling companion he is. He has excitedly attended opera and classical music concerts, eaten everything, toted heavy bags up countless flights of stairs, and traipsed through endless museums with a far greater attention span than my own. I will never forget this trip because of him!

No comments: