Saturday, October 4, 2008

Muzungu

Western Orphanage: Day 0 (Written 9/28/08)
Kyenjojo town, Mysenyi District


Muzungu- This is the most common word I have heard since being here in Uganda. It means foreign white person. Outsider. People yell it at you all day as you are driving by. One yells: Muzungu! How is You-Gahn-Dah?? I yell back good! (and give a Borat thumbs up) People in YOU-Gahn-dah expect things from muzungu water, soda, money, food, etc. I have been approached by 5 year olds, (mu-toh) all the way up to 70 yr olds (mozaee) with the same expectations. It takes some time getting used to, but I just smile shake my head and say Sirinah ( I have none).

Uganda
is the poorest country I have spent a prolonged amount of time in. In Brazil I was in the city, in Jamaica a resort. Here I am in the middle of nowhere at an orphanage. I can’t resist the kids though… I give them food if I have it. I held a million shillings for the first time the other day (1,500 US dollars). A milli!! It was crazy but since USD=1600 Ugandan shillings it’s really not that much. Still, I was a millionaire for a day.

There is a rule on the roads here in
Uganda. I say a rule, because as far as I can tell there are no rules other than this one! Right of way goes to the bigger vehicle or object. Order of ranking: person, boda-boda (motorcycle taxis) care, range rover, Taxi-van, bus, truck.

-Travis (typed by Jes)

No comments: