Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Reflections

Kampala town, Marble Arch Hotel & Devine Internet Cafe

Looking back at my time in Kyenjojo (sp?), the thing that stood out to me about my time there the most was the final morning we were there just before we left. I received two handwritten notes , one from Godfrey and the other from Solomon, self proclaimed captain of sports at the Home of Champions and also the best soccer player there. Both letters expressed gratitude but more importantly, consideration of me as a father figure in their life.

I would have never imagined that taking time to learn someone's name, giving them personalized attention and love, playing soccer with them, and teaching them to dance the Soul-jah Boy would constitute fatherly duties but I guess so. I gave Solomon my Brasil jersey and Godfrey my bible. I also wrote them each a letter back in which I promised that I would never forget them and also that I would do everything I could to help them complete their education.

It's a promise that I intend to keep.

-Travis

4 comments:

Cash said...

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I am excited for you and I am following your journeys! By the way... you should make Matt write something.

suzanne said...

wow travis thats awesome!

shells said...

I knew you were special the day i met you, Travis. I am not a bit surprised that the children there are drawn to you as they are to Jes. God's love is just oozing out of you two!! How was the safari?? Be safe. Love shells

Joe Sung said...

travis, this is so great man.