Saturday, October 4, 2008

Thoughts From Kyenjojo

Western Orphanage: Day 1 (Written 9/29/08)

I slept in till 10 today! I guess I am still jet lagging a little. The “road” (if you can call it that) to the orphanage is INSANE! Picture a mid-size path through the bush you might walk on to cut behind your house or through a dense backyard towards a park. Now put a Toyota Land Cruiser on that path and make it uneven and muddy as possible. The boys clapped for Matt and I as we walked into their dormitory last night. I guess they were clapping as a welcome or to show appreciation. All I could think was “why were they clapping?” I don’t deserve applause at all. All I did was ride in a car for a few hours to come and visit. I guess that there are not many Muzungu that do that.

There’s a boy named Peter I met today. Sarah (the orphanage manager) told me his story. When both of his parents died he went to live with his aunt, who mistreated him, she would beat him and work him to the bone. She made him tend to the cows and goats and when it was rainy she wouldn’t let him come inside saying he was too dirty. When Peter heard about the orphanage opening and looking for disadvantaged kids, he came there by myself, applied and got accepted. But then during the Holiday he did not want to go back to his aunts, so this Pastor that lives right next to the Orphanage agreed to let him stay with him and his family. He then proceeded to work Peter like a slave, and his wife did the same. After the break, Peter told the staff what had happened and now when all the kids go home to their guardians for break, Sarah leaves him with food and he stays alone at the orphanage.

Peter deserves applause not me.

It’s hard to communicate with the kids here in Kyenjojo. For many, their English knowledge ends at how are you, and what’s your name?

As for the people I have befriended so far, they are very cool. My favorite is a man named Kiiza (pronounced Chiza) Moses. Everyone calls him Kiiza. He is 26, married with 2 kids (people do not talk that much about relationships in Uganda). He is our driver, and him and I have been talking since I got here. He drove us from the airport to the hotel. He is the official driver for Peter Mutebi Ministries, and a mechanic when he’s not driving. I think he is a Christian because he pointed out on the back of a taxi “Yesu Afayo” and told me it means Jesus cares. A couple of days later he asked if I remembered what it meant and I told him and he said “ That’s the most important to remember”.

He opened up a little to me about his past and growing up as an orphan. I think he and I will be good friends by the end of my time here.

Sarah is the orphanage manager and one of Jes’s best friends. Jes and her hung out the entire time the last time she was in Uganda. Sarah cooks for us, guides us, and teaches us phrases in Luganda. She is also the backbone of the Ministry and I think without her none of this would be here.

Orphan Names and First Impressions:

Godfrey- Natural Leader, alpha male

Vincent- Shy, tall

Ramadan-Dancer, smooth

Boni- soccer addict, Man United fan

Eric-Big and tall

Businge- Handicapped, loyal

Solomon- Athletic

Peter- Brave, stoic

Abraham- Class clown, smart

Dennis- Cool

-Travis (typed by Jes)

No comments: