Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Dancing and Singing Kids of Bugiri

Hey all,

We just arrived back in Kampala from our adventure to the Bugiri orphanage and it was amazing. The difference between the two orphanages is fairly drastic. This orphanage was not so remote and the kids were much more outgoing and their English was much better even the young kids. Not to pick favorites it was just a lot easier to connect with multiple kids instead of just a couple at the other orphanage in Keynjojo. Although the funny thing is that apparently it is impossible to grasp the name simple name of Matt for the kids at Bugiri and no matter how many times I tried to correct them they called me Martin but since that’s my middle name I eventually gave up on correcting them and just let myself be known as Martin. One of my favorite parts in Bugiri was being able to join the kids for worship at night time Church. Travis took to the drum circle while I took to the dancing circle (which the kids absolutely love to do when singing praise songs). I really enjoyed spending time with the kids and it was easy to do different activities with all of them. I found I could communicate and connect with the older kids a lot easier of course because of the lack in language barrier but I really had a heart and enjoyed spending my time with the younger kids and giving them just as much attention as the older children by simply spending time with them and playing simple games. In Keynjojo when I was sick I had a long time to think about what little interaction or affection these kids have from older adults and it really struck me. So, although I know I couldn't talk with the younger kids I know that spending time with them and appreciating them as an adult is really important and just as meaningful as having heart to heart conversations. I realized that I had a big effect when the younger kids began to cling to me and sit on me when I read stories to them I could see their desire for affection. Although by the end of our time I felt like I could have spent even more time with the kids and done more with them, so I decided to opt out of taking the night trips into town to get supplies and spend more time with the kids. I was really glad it gave me a chance to read more Bible stories to the kids (which most didn’t understand haha) but they still ate it up and said “one more uncle Martin one more” and wouldn’t let me stop reading until I saw the uneasiness in Sam’s face (head of the boys dorm) and could tell I was pushing the boys bedtime. I was really blessed during my time at the orphanage and I hope that God used me as a blessing to the kids. Oh I almost forgot the biggest blessing at the Bugiri orphanage was that the last day we had all the kids tested for AIDS and HIV, Jes had taken them last year when she was there to get tested and they found 9 kids that had the virus. So, this year we had all of them tested again but with God’s grace every single test came up negative!!! They also found out that the person who had taken the tests last year was a fraud and the 9 who we thought had the virus were virus free praise God! It was a real blessing and we were all very relieved. Well that is it for the orphanages next we move to our safari adventure which should prove to be amazing and one of my personal life long dreams.

~Matt

No comments: