Saturday, September 13, 2008

When God speaks....

Just 2 short weeks ago my friends and I were delivering books in upstate New York.  Yesterday we attended the funeral service of one of those friends who was the victim of a tragic car accident.  Amber Lynn Volk, a 23 yr old super star.  She brought joy into the lives of so many countless people.  Her funeral was packed with so many sad faces.  

Amber was going to come to Uganda with us.  

I am dedicating this trip to Amber.  I am dedicating it to the memory of her smile, the sound of her footsteps down the stairs to my room in the morning, and the feel of her hug when I was sad.

When God speaks people can't help but listen...sometimes it's not the words that we hear, but  the distant sound of sobbing or the way that the rain beats upon our umbrellas. 

I do not mourn for Amber, because she is right where she deserves to be.  I mourn my future without her here on earth.  I mourn for the orphans at home of champions that will have to wait until Heaven to see her smile..... so here's to you Amber.   ~Jes


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

send me some email love i'll miss you guys! stephen_iden@vt.edu

shells said...

Travis, I am so happy you made that flight!!! I think I felt better about you snuggling with your girlfriend than you did!! It is so great knowing you are there and you and Jes are sharing this experience. Our God is an awesome God!! So are people like you and Jes and Matt and Amber who want to give of themselves to others with less. It's a beautiful thing. God Bless You.
p.s. I rock ( i read the whole blog!)

shells said...

Oh, Jes. I love you so much. I can see the smile on your face as you wake up in Africa. You are amazing!! The love you spread, everywhere you go, is the kind of love the Lord wishes all of us knew. I am so proud of you. Can't wait to see pictures and hear stories about "your kids". Be safe, I miss you. Praying for you always. Knowing you are in God's loving care, mom

suzanne said...

jes you are awesome.